Polymer thermal properties and degradation behavior
Polymers undergo numerous thermal transitions that can affect processing in addition to their thermal and oxidative stability.
All these factors will affect the final product performance. Understanding the effects of heat histories and elevated temperatures on polymeric materials are key parameters to optimizing physical properties, maintaining color and preventing decomposition. Our experts have many years of experience measuring thermal properties on a wide range of thermoplastic and thermoset resins and analyzing this data to make recommendations about optimizing your process and increasing your resin performance and stability.
Typical applications include:
- Identifying phase transitions
- Creation of phase diagrams
- Decomposition analysis
- Optimizing processing parameters
- Identifying optimal product use temperature
- Determination of coefficient of thermal expansion
- Deformation due to stress relaxation and heat shrinking
- Softening under load