Solid state NMR
At Arkema Analytical Solutions a state-of-the-art, highly specialized wide bore spectrometer provides solid state NMR capabilities.
The multinuclear and multidimensional system is well equipped with dual channel kilowatt amplifiers, variable temperature control from -100 to +150ºC, and a wide range of MAS (magic angle spinning) probes to accommodate various sample volumes and to allow fast MAS at spinning speeds over 30 kHz. Common nuclei observations include 1H, 13C, 15N, 19F, 27Al, 29Si, and 31P, while other nuclei across the periodic table are also observable. Available solid state experiments include MAS with high power decoupling, CP-MAS (cross polarization MAS), WISE (wide-line separation), HETCOR (heteronuclear correlation), MQ-MAS (multiple-quantum MSA), and 1H and 19F CRAMPS (combined rotation and multiple pulse spectroscopy).
In addition to solids, our NMR capabilities include gel-state spectroscopy and HRMAS (high resolution MSA) experiments for heterogeneous mixtures of liquids and solids.
Typical applications of solid state NMR include:
- Composition of comonomers in insoluble copolymers
- Relaxation measurements
- Crosslinker identification/quantification
- Dynamic studies via variable temperature experiments
- Solid state reaction/phase transformation monitoring
- Crystalline polymorph and amorphous phase identifications
- Homopolymer and interphase domain size estimation in copolymers and polymer blends
- Composition of heterogeneous mixtures of liquid and solid
- Orientation and dynamics of polymer chains